Free School Meals
Reception, Year 1 and Year 2
From September 2014 all pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 in state-funded schools in England will be eligible for Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM). This will include academies, free schools, pupil referral units and alternative provision as well as maintained schools. Although children can receive a free meal under this scheme it does not entitle the school to Pupil Premium funding or entitle the family to free school milk. That is only if the family are eligible for free school meals based on their financial status as below.
Eligibility criteria for other groups
The existing free school meal (FSM) scheme is continuing for all year groups, including Reception, Year 1 and 2, and is income means tested. Some of the criteria is listed below and if you think you may be eligible then contact Lancashire County Council Pupil Access Team and enquire. If you are eligible for free school meals then you are also eligible for free milk in school (Reception, Year 1 and 2). School also receives Pupil Premium funding for all of these children and we use some of this funding to give out uniform vouchers, help to fund enrichment activities such as music lessons or pay for school trips. If you have any questions about either UIFSM or FSM please contact Mrs McGown or Mrs Smith in the School Office.
In England, children at key stages 2-4 in state-funded schools are entitled to receive FSM if their parents or carers are in receipt of any of the following benefits:
• Income Support
• Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
• Child Tax Credit (provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs)
• Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
• During the initial roll out of the benefit, Universal Credit
To find out if your child qualifies for free school meals, you should: